High Blood Pressure can be prevented by
Choosing a healthy diet
· Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
· Avoid foods high in salt (do not add extra salt to your food). A low salt diet is very good for your health.
· Drink plenty of water
Maintain a Healthy Weight
· Obesity increases your risk for high blood pressure.
· Loosing weight decreases your risk for developing high blood pressure
· Join a weight loss program
· Avoid drinking a lot of alcohol
· Women should have no more than 1 drink a day and men no more than 2 daily
Be Physically Activity
. Exercise regularly, at least 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise daily
. Walking, bicycling, and jogging are two easy ways of being physically active
. Join a gym or an exercise program
· If you do not currently smoke, please do not start
· Avoid being in the mist of people smoking to reduce the effects of second hand smoking
· If you smoke, please please please consider quitting to reduce you risk for high blood pressure and heart disease
. Try to avoid things that causes stress
. Try a massage to help with stress reduction.
Links to more information on High blood pressure
Death rate from Hypertension in the world ranked from highest to lowest by country. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000101.htm
Trisha Eleyae, MSN, RN, CHC